Sip libations, savor festive food, and see my garden as celebrated in the following magazines and media!
Please note that a few links require a subsciption to view the full article. In some cases, back orders may be placed with the publication.
- Central Texas Gardener ~ In the above interview with KLRU’s Central Texas Gardener (PBS), I talk about tequila and my decades of traveling through agave country. Many thanks to CTG for their high quality filming/editing!
- GoodTaste.tv ~ Tanji Patton of San Antonio is an Emmy award-winning journalist pursuing her passion for wine and food…and she is so much fun! In the video above from Goodtaste.tv, you’ll discover how to make Sangrita, tequila’s quintessential chaser—sip them hand in hand!
- Austin American-Statesman: “Lucinda Hutson shares her lifelong love of tequila and Mexico in new book” ~ Thank you hometowns (Austin and El Paso) for this book review and front page feature! In the accompanying video above, I show how to make a Torito, a zesty tequila cocktail splashed with chile and tequila!
- El Paso Inc.: “New Cookbook Good Enough to Drink” ~ Here’s the accompanying syndicated article that appeared in many Texas newspapers.
- The Splendid Table: “Straight, no chaser” ~ I was delighted that Lynne Rossetto Kasper, the award-winning host of The Splendid Table, public radio’s culinary culture and lifestyle program, chose to interview me. Here’s the transcript and radio broadcast.
- Austin Chronicle: “Lucinda Hutson’s Colorful Love letter to Mexico” ~ Love this article by Claudia Alarcón for the Austin Chronicle who recounts my love story to Mexico—her people, her colors, her culture, and her beloved tequila—in this review of ¡VIVA TEQUILA!
- Portland Book Review: !Viva Tequila! Cocktails, Cooking, and Other Agave Adventures ~ And another wonderful review of Viva Tequila from the Portland Book Review.
- Amazon.com: !Viva Tequila! Cocktails, Cooking, and Other Agave Adventures ~ You’ll find more 5-STAR reviews of the book on Amazon!
- Chicago Tribune: “Sangrita: The Sassy Companion to Tequila” ~ The Chicago Tribune also featured my recipe for Sangrita in their Food & Dining section!
Food & Fiesta
You’ll find lots of fun menus, recipes, and photographs to help you plan your next fiesta when visiting these sites.
- Texas Monthly: “Patio Party” ~ Here’s a fun menu I shared on Texas Monthly.com for a summer patio party, with 7 recipes and photos that will make you hungry—all flavored with tequila! Fun presentation ideas for Ponche Guadalajara (a refreshing citrus pineapple punch), grilled fish with a Sassy Citrus and Tequila Vinaigrette, Salsa de Aguacate con Tomatillo, Corn Husk Boats Stuffed with Black Beans, Cucumber and Watermelon Salsa with Tequila Granita, and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Tequila-Spiked Orange Marmalade. Bring on the mariachis!
- Austin Woman: “The Summer of Tequila Fiestas” You’ll want to be invited to this party featured in Austin Woman Magazine! A garden party at my home with a festive punch, Tostadas Compuestas with Shrimp and Black Beans, Avocado Halves Stuffed with Spicy Mango Salsa, and Zesty Tequila-Spiked Margarita “Bars” will guarantee a fiesta!
- My San Antonio: “The Culture of Tequila” ~ !VIVA SAN ANTONIO AND VIVA TEQUILA! Great review of my book complete with recipes and colorful photos, including Corn Salsa Prontísimo, Queso Flameado, a spicy chipotle-flavored shredded beef dish called Salpicón, and Camarones Cantineros (shrimp for the bartender!).
- Edible Austin: Lucinda Hutson ~ I have written my regular column, “La Casita de Buen Sabor” (The Little House of Good Flavors), for Edible Austin since 2008. Here you will find an archive of all of my articles throughout the seasons with fun stories and lots of recipes.
- Wine Enthusiast: “Taming the Tipple Threat” ~ The Wine Enthusiast showcased my recipe for Hoppin’ Jalapeño Carrot Cake to pair with fruit or citrus infused tequila or a fine añejo tequila…this is one dessert your friends won’t forget!
- Central Texas Gardener ~ In this lovely June 2014 episode of Central Texas Gardener (PBS), you can tour the various theme gardens that surround my home, filled with a wild array of plants and whimsical garden art.
- Fine Gardening: “A Garden of Several Courses” ~ Peruse my gardens with Fine Gardening magazine in August 2005, and see how dividing a small lot into distinct spaces makes this small serving seem like a feast.
- Fine Gardening: “The Herb Garden Redefined” ~ Wander through the large circular herb garden that I designed with its various global garden themes at Austin’s nationally acclaimed organic nursery in this article I wrote for Fine Gardening.
- Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog: “Viva Muchos Colores” ~ Jean McWeeney of Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog also offers a lovely photo-tour of my garden.
- Pam Penick’s Digging Blog: Photo Tour 2013 and 2009 ~ Pam Penick of Digging has celebrated my garden on her blog, beautifully capturing the spirit of each garden space.
- Charles Mann Photography ~ Charles Mann is a world-recognized garden/horticulture/landscape photographer and journalist whose beautiful photos capture the soul of New Mexico and any land he has touched. Delighted that he chose to shoot my garden!
- Southern Living had never before visited a purple house. I was thrilled for them to feature my home, garden, and recipes on the cover of their magazine.
Southern Living: “Fiesta of Food and Garden Ideas”
- The Herb Companion featured my purple house on the cover of their magazine.
- Photo journalist Clare Miers captured the spirit of my garden in this 2010 video for the Austin American-Statesman.